A gel coat is a liquid you apply to protect the fiberglass, which hardens it and makes it look shiny and smooth. Applying the gel coat is simple, and you need to follow some steps for a successful process.
The only tips you need to know are that you need to collect all the things you need to have the tools for the whole process to make your work easier and put on a suitable coating. Ensure you follow the instructions for applying the gel coat if you are new to the process.
The article below shows how to apply the gel coat and the difference between the gel coat and fiberglass. There is more related information about fiberglass application with a gel coat. Later are the frequently asked questions and conclusion at last.
Can you fiberglass over a gel coat?
Yes, you can fiberglass over a gel coat in different ways. Below are the methods you can use for the process.
Techniques to use:
Preparing the fiberglass
Works to clean the fiberglass to make it ready for the process of applying the gel
Applying the gel coat
Process of adding the coating to the surface
Check gel coat at Amazon
Finishing the application
Helps in providing the directives on how to finish the application
Method 1 preparing the fiberglass
1. Add fiberglass crack with polyester filler and marine grade. In this case, consider using the epoxy filler since there is not an excellent product to use with the get coat topcoat. Therefore, ensure the surface you are covering is smooth before applying the gel coat. With parts having gouges, consider using sandpaper to remove the dirty particles accumulating inside them before rubbing the area to be soft. Allow the filler to cure for some time, and then rub it again with sandpaper.
2. Clean the fiberglass with water and any chemical. Remember to clean the surface using water and a specific chemical you prefer to use. If the fiberglass has dirty particles, the debris will be with the gel coat to rub the surface with a rag and wipe it with a clean cloth. If you are cleaning a large surface, consider using a power washer since it is fast and straightforward in the cleaning process.
3. Use acetone to wipe the fiberglass. It would be best if you wiped the fiberglass to remove grease and wax when cleaning and in some other chemicals that you applied to the surface. The process is essential when you gel coating old fiberglass since they always contain some layers that you need to remove on their surfaces. After removing the coatings, you can now apply the new coat, which will stick to it enormously.
Method 2 applying the gel coat
1. Add gel coat to the methyl ethyl ketone peroxide and mix them in an open container like a bucket. The chemical you are adding to the gel coat is essential because it helps it hard. Check on the manufacturer’s manual to identify the exact amount you will mix with the gel coat for a good solution. Remember, the amount of the chemical to use depends on the size of the gel coat you want to apply.
2. Add color to the gel coat if you want to decorate it with a different color. Please choose a color pigment that you want and add it to the gel coat, following the manufacturer’s instructions when mixing the solutions.
3. Apply the gel coat using a soft brush if you apply it to a small area. Therefore, you need to dip the meeting in the gel coat and brush it on the fiberglass using a specific pattern that shows uniformity. Ensure the application mode leaves thick layers that you need not see the fiberglass underneath the gel coat.
4. Consider using a gel coat spray gun to facilitate faster application if you are working on a large surface. To use the spray gun, fill the space with a gel coat, connect all the necessary parts you need, and then hold it in the direction of the fiberglass to apply the gel coat. Check Amazon for the best gel coats.
5. Give time for the gel coat to dry while checking on it. Test the gel coat if it is dry with your fingers to know if it is dry.
6. If the gel coat is dry, consider applying the gel coat again like two times for a strong touch of the gel.
Method 3 finishing the application
1. Sand the fiberglass surface with sandpaper that helps in smoothing the rough parts with the gel coat on the surface. Consider using particular sandpaper for larger surfaces which makes work easier. After sanding the surface, wipe the dust using a clean and dry piece of cloth or cotton wool.
2. Add a rubbing compound to the fiberglass with a piece of cloth since the blend contains some particles that help remove all the remaining particles and make them smooth. Use an electric buffer when working with a more extensive mix. Check Amazon for the best electric cushions to use.
3. Use wax to apply over the coat to protect it. Wax helps make the gel coat hard and reflects, making it attractive to the users. Apply the wax using a piece of cloth and remove it later when it dries.
Can fiberglass stick to gel coats?
Yes, the fiberglass can stick to the gel coat so long you and it before applying it.
Can you put epoxy resin over the gel coat?
You can put epoxy resin over the gel coat. However, it is not good to do so since they are not compatible chemically, and the gel coat won’t stick to the surface properly. There are steps you can follow when preparing epoxy for the gel coat:
1. Give the epoxy time to cure until the sanding produces a fine powder
2. Remove the amine blush by washing it with water and a soft pad that will rub it
3. Wipe the surface with clean towels to dry well and rinse, and give it time to dry.
What can I use to cover the gel coat?
Consider sanding it to prepare the surface when you want to cover the gel coat. Choose to use paint to protect it, but you need to check on the state of the gel coat before painting it. Use gel coat finish since it is the best type of gel to apply to the surfaces as the gel coat is a resin with a finishing material that can dry, forming a hard shell-like casing. The gel coat cover is good as it protects the Ultra violet rays and any necessary chemical reactions.
However, you can also use the automotive paint on the fiberglass since it is good quality, but the only thing that is hard to do is the preparation process.
Are our gel coats and fiberglass the same?
Gel coat and fiberglass are not the same since gel coat is not an end coat for any product instead, you apply it on the surface, and the surface will require you to cure it to produce an end product. The fiberglass has a resin that you use on top of the gel coat that forms a complex and smooth shiny surface that you can add any color to the end surface if you are decorating it.
Frequently asked questions:
1. How can one repair the gel coating?
When you have an old gel coating, you can choose to repair it, but it will need some other considerations. Choose to use an air inhibitor for curing the gel when applying the gel coating that helps retain the glass’s glossy nature and makes it rugged and long-lasting.
2. What is the function of the gel coat on the fiberglass?
The gel coat on the fiberglass is essential as it helps harden the surface layer after applying it on the surface and protects the fiberglass by giving it a shiny and smooth coating. Therefore, ensure you have good tools when using gel since it is good.
3. How can one differentiate fiberglass resin and polyester resin?
To differentiate between fiberglass resin and polyester resin, check the material since fiberglass is a standard cloth that you can get with different formats. Polyester resins are among the types that work by impregnating the fiberglass resin. There is also the epoxy resin that works like the polyester resin.
The article above shows the tips of applying gel coat to the fiberglass that the skin helps prevent the glass from some issues and that it works in adding value to the glass by making it shiny and creating an attractive sense to the surface. There are some factors that I have discussed, which include: Can fiberglass stick to gel coat, Can you put epoxy resin over gel coat, What can I use to cover gel coat, and Is gel coat and fiberglass the same?
Check on the guide to get the idea of applying the gel on the surface, following the rules and the amount to use while applying. Choose to mix the solutions carefully, checking on the size of the surface you are applying. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on adding the mixtures while preparing the solution to apply to the characters you want to avoid using fewer chemicals or more that will destroy them.
You Might be Interested to Read: